There’s just something magical about a southern wedding. Whether the bride has chosen a traditional, fancy wedding or a more casual, rustic theme, there is no shortage of elegance and charm. If you’re planning your special day and want to incorporate some nature-inspired elements into the decorations, here are a few ideas to help you get started on creating a memorable occasion.
What is the Rustic Style?
A rustic style wedding is one that is designed with an emphasis on natural beauty and textures with a color palette of earth tones. Choosing this style for your occasion is much easier if you select a venue that is located in a secluded, wooded area. This type of venue will add a little enchantment to the ambiance.
So, let’s get started. You’re sure to love these simple and affordable ideas, and they’ll inspire you to come up with even more ideas.
10 Ideas for a Rustic Wedding Reception with Some Southern Charm
- Semi-Naked Wedding Cake – This is the latest trend in rustic wedding cakes. The sides are free from icing, giving them a rustic look. The exposed sides can be garnished with fruits or flowers for a touch of color and charm.
- Jam Jars for Vases – Most southern girls have used mason jars for drinking iced tea or lemonade. These jars make adorable vases, especially if you tie a bow around them using jute or ribbons made of earth tones.
- Use Benches Instead of Chairs – Benches are perfect for adding a relaxed feel. You’ll save some money on decorations because they don’t really need to be adorned.
- Wooden or Chalkboard Signs – Simple pieces of wood that are hand painted to show guests which way to the restrooms, dancing area, dining area, etc.. They add a little touch of whimsy but are useful as well.
- Fairy Lights and Lighted Letters – These add a cozy, warm glow to an area. Use tiny string lights to accent specific areas. Lighted letters placed on a wall behind the cake table are a nice touch.
- Candles – For a touch of romance and a cozy feel, candles are your friend. They’re inexpensive, versatile, and can be reused. Be sure to check with your venue to see if they have restrictions.
- Hay Bales and Hessian (Burlap) – Two items that are perfect for creating a rustic theme. Place the bales around outdoors as accents. Burlap can be used to make table runners, bows, placemats, chair decorations, and much more.
- Clear Drink Dispensers with Spouts – Nothing is more southern-inspired than a big jug of iced tea or lemonade. Use several to provide a variety of drink choices for your guests.
- Lighthouse Lanterns as Centerpieces – To get the best rustic effect use metal lanterns with the drop handle that are designed to burn tealights. Decorate them with a few twigs or flowers.
- Wooden Guest Book – Find a large picture frame and glue small wooden hearts on the mat. Guests can write their name and their good wishes on the hearts. This will be a nice piece of artwork you can keep.
For your rustic color palette, use nature’s colors such as forest green, mint, rust, copper, mauve, lilac, butter yellow, khaki, seafoam green. For a summer wedding, stick with the lighter colors. If you’re planning a fall or winter wedding use reds, greens, bronze, and maybe a little black to keep from looking too Christmas-y.
The Perfect Venue for Your Rustic Wedding
If you can imagine having your wedding in a place that offers a tree-covered driveway with a two-story, rustic cabin, wrap-around porch, and a pond, the Cabin at Old Spur is perfect. Located on seventy acres of forested land, our venue offers a gorgeous backdrop for your ceremony and the photos. We would love to tell you more about our affordable and conveniently located venue, so call today to learn more.